Are You Scaring Off Your Website Visitors?
Sometimes it’s about what you don’t do as much as it is what you do. This can ring particularly true on the subject of your website design. There are many problems that can send visitors screaming into cyberspace to get away from these grievous issues. Let‘s find out if any of these sound familiar to you.
- No clear objective – According to DinkumInteractive.com you’ve got about 4 seconds to show what your website is about before they bail.
- Not making the content scannable – We read in chunks, if you can’t scan your web page and get the gist of it in a few seconds, you could turn off a significant portion of your visitors!Properly Design Your Website
- Not being mobile ready – Mobile is no longer a luxury. According to Google half of all website traffic is already mobile and nearly 50% of local search is being done via a mobile device.
- Not using videos on your website – Just about everyone has a video camera in their phone–so there’s no justification for not having video on your website!
- No updated, quality content – If your content articles are from Bush’s first term, it’s no wonder they’re fleeing! Also, it’s best to avoid fancy fonts and absurdly long pages.
- No contact information – You want to be sure that your customers can contact you when they want to!
- Not collecting emails or newsletter signups – You do plan to be in business for the long haul, right?
- Not utilizing Meta tags on your website – Especially the title and description tags. These could very well help you get indexed and ranked in the search engines.
- No social sharing buttons – Social media is a huge part of search engine optimization now, and you should make your content shareable.
- No or poor Calls-to-Action – You want an action from your visitors; ask for it!
- No clear site navigation – Make certain every page on your website includes a link back to the home page. Don’t use drop down menus as they can cause mobile rendering issues. Consider alternatives like section sidebar navigation or fixed-position (sticky) navigation that scrolls with the user as they move up and down the page.
- Not optimizing images – You need to use the ALT and TITLE attributes for any images you post.
- Overuse of Flash – Besides being a pain for the GoogleBot to read, it can be very annoying to your visitors.
- No metrics to measure your progress – Do you really not want to learn what number of people are coming around and from where? What do they like, or not like?
- “Intro” pages – These are only a hurdle to your content.
We’ll be scouring our website and cleaning up our “grievous issues”! Will you be cleaning up your website too? Need some help with website redesign? We’ll be happy to help!