How Does Your Online Reputation Stack Up?
Use these 5 Online Reputation Strategies to Manage your Company’s Brand
You might think that online reputation management isn’t something you should concern yourself with. Think again!
According to eMarketer, 83% of consumers state that online reviews sway their opinions about a particular company, and 8 out of 10 of these people added that a negative entry online is responsible for them changing their mind regarding that company. Even one negative review, justified or not, can negate all your efforts if you haven’t thought out an online reputation strategy to manage it.
So to help out with that here are five strategies your small business, and your brand, can implement to monitor and maintain your online reputation.
- Monitoring your brand names – Listening to what’s being said about you and your business is of vital importance. There are a number of great free tools to help in this regard. Check out Google Alerts, Hootsuite, and Social Mention among others.
- Claim all of your relevant social properties – Unused social media sites can be utilized by your rivals to pull you down and spread negativity. Make sure you claim all social sites that matter for your brand.
- Dominate page one of Google for your brand name – One great way to ensure what people see and read about you whenever they Google you would be to own all the virtual real estate! If all they find every time they Google you is great stuff about you and your brand, your reputation won’t be damaged from the occasional attack.
- Go after customer reviews – Customer reviews aren’t just going to appear on your website: you have to ask for them. Don’t be shy about requesting reviews. Typically, your clients are going to be flattered you asked. And if you offer incentives, let them know that you’re not trying to bribe them or manipulate their review!
- Engage with your people – Interact with those writing comments. Facebook posts and tweets are great strategies to head off any damage from the get-go. Don’t engage in mud-slinging however, no matter how justified you’re feeling! Thank them for their contribution to the discussion, and politely disagree, standing up for yourself. (If they’re not right, of course!)
Online reputation management is incredibly crucial these days, when customers can tweet, post or upload video from wherever they happen to be. Implement the above strategies and you’re sure to keep your 5-Star rating intact!