The LinkedIn Factor
LinkedIn Is Your New Best Friend. Here’s Why
LinkedIn is the Rodney Dangerfield of social media: in spite of 200 million highly influential members, it gets no respect. Even though it is consistently ranked among the social giants Facebook and Twitter, it doesn’t manage to get as much buzz from the mainstream media. But as a tool for marketing your small business, it comes with a huge edge over its more popular peers. Because unlike Facebook and Twitter, which often trade in cat photos, inane one-liners and political rants from crazy uncles, LinkedIn is all business.
How businesses are leveraging LinkedIn
There are 1.3 million small-business owners on the network. How are they using it? What sort of benefits do they see? Here are just a few:
- 1. Sharing wins: As a small business owner, you’re working hard. Why not share your success stories? Displaying your accomplishments is just good marketing. With 2 million C-level executives using the site, you might suddenly find yourself with a few deep-pocketed suitors.
- 2. Getting referrals: LinkedIn makes it simplallows you to get peer and client endorsements for the work you do. Best part? When someone recommends you or writes a testimonial, everyone within your network sees it in their activity feed. This type of social proof is the BEST way of getting new business.
- 3. Finding new talent: Growing? LinkedIn is an excellent place—scratch that, it’s the BEST place—to locate new A players to add to your roster. It’s the largest directory of working professionals in the world.
- 4. Promoting events: LinkedIn’s event feature is a game changer! It has never been so easy to spread the word and drum up enthusiasm about upcoming events, sales and get togethers. You can also use their service directory to find professional event planners to assist you.
- 5. Boosting website traffic: A little-known secret about LinkedIn is that it’s very influential with Google; if you have a presence on LinkedIn, you’re likely to see a jump in search engine visibility, too. More clicks = more customers!
- 6. Getting answers: LinkedIn is a goldmine for information on building a successful business. You can uncover great advice from some of the savviest business minds in the world in LinkedIn Answers and Groups. You will discover over 2000 groups focused on small-business-related topics.
- 7. Finding investors, vendors and partners: It’s a networker’s paradise. Whether you require some capital, a new accounting firm, or a business partner, you’re not going to find a better resource than LinkedIn. Anywhere.